I’m excited to bring you an interview with Danielle LaPorte. Danielle’s an inspiration, a motivational goddess and hosts “the best place online for kick-ass spirituality”. I got to pick her brains a little, and here’s what came out. Let’s dive straight in!
1. Tell us something about pure instinct and self-knowledge in figuring the passion.
If it doesnʼt light you up, youʼre not the right person for the job. Legendary choreographer Twyla Tharp uses the athlete as a metaphor for this kind of refinement. The talented sports guy has to weigh out many factors: “What comes naturally to him, what does he enjoy the most, in which sport does he have a natural advantage? But in the end the choice should be based on pure instinct and self-knowledge. What sport does he feel in his muscles and bones? What sport was he born to play?”
Would you rather be sufficient or masterful?
Would you rather be bright or a freaking supernova?
Would you rather be well-rounded or on your own leading edge?
2. Following the passion is cool, but how can one get paid to do what they love? Is there a secret?
There’s no secret. Just the courage to put yourself out there. Here are a few questions to point you in the right direction:
- Someone pay you $100/hour to tell/teach/inform them about what?
- What do you know about? Whatʼs your knowledge base? What do you know that other people donʼt?
- How does your service/offering/product make people feel? What problem does it solve, or what state does it create?
- Who needs what youʼve got? (Even though they may not know it yet.)
3. You’re doing a lot of things at once remarkably well. Can you share your ideas on how you stay on track, and how do you time-manage?
My current time management motto is this: I do what I want, when I want to do it. Systems for running our lives can be useful, but they can also enslave us.
Time management can be the biggest trap of them all. It can creep into your psyche, and rather than freeing you up, itʼs calling all the shots. Time regimes can certainly do wonders for getting the most out of life. We need them, like we need good eating habits.
I batch my actionable tasks, I schedule in administrivia days, and I have key priorities, because accomplishing a lot is a major rush for me. But itʼs my relationship to those time management methodologies that makes all the difference in my psyche and therefore the quality of what I do. I do what makes me feel “free”, not “obedient.”
4. How do you kill procrastination?
Donʼt let the desire for perfection become procrastination. Every novel ever written might have been better. Every piece of technology, every masterpiece, every day — it all might have been even better. So just launch and learn.
5. “The Fire Starter Sessionsis not about dreaming big, but dreaming authentically”. I love that thought. Care to expand?
We get so many societal messages about what the Right Dream is that it gets hard to decipher what our own dream is.
The pandemic that we have of over-consumption is directly related to this concept of dreaming big, bigger, biggest-possible big. Big can be bountiful, but what if your dream is to live simply — to have enough? Not more than enough — but enough.
Are your aspirations a vocational impulse or a competitive sport? Are you trying to impress your dead ancestors or leave your mark on the world?
If your goals arenʼt synced with the substance of your heart, then achieving them wonʼt matter much.
6. Who is in the most need of reading Fire Starter Sessions?
If you’re waiting for permission to want what you want — and to go get it — this is for you. If you want more cash flow and to be more conscious, if you want to ante up your dreams, if you want to have a good time making a difference in the world, then it’s a good time get your fire lit. Who’s in?
Don’t forget to get a glimpse of Danielle’s newest book here.
Popular search terms for this article:
Powered by Article Dashboard care product, Powered by Article Dashboard check it software, Powered by Article Dashboard care health, Powered by Article Dashboard you play here, Powered by Article Dashboard go back, Powered by Article Dashboard wholesale sports